Introduction To Flutter App Development
Why Was Flutter Created?
There are primarily two mobile operating systems, iOS and Android. Until now, developers had to use Java to build Android apps and Swift/Objective C for iOS apps. There was no way for both platforms to create a single codebase app.
Let’s see what Flutter’s concern is.
- Single Codebase – Flutter offers a single code base for developers to work on. The single codebase is then converted into the native source code. This saves time as developers do not have to create separate applications for different platforms.
- Single Language – Earlier, developers had to learn multiple languages to develop applications on different platforms. But with Flutter, developers need to learn only one language i.e. Dart. This would increase the productivity of the developer.
- Compilation Time – Flutter app development uses Dart Language, and dart uses Just-in-Time Compiler while in the development stage. This decreases the app development process.
Features Of Flutter
Flutter SDK offers the following features to developers −
Flutter aims to provide the user with a high-performance application. Flutter controls the pixels of the device and uses the Skia 2D graphics engine to render the application pixel by pixel. Since Flutter does not depend on OEM widgets and manages the rendering of the application itself, there is no need to call any additional OS APIs, resulting in the high speed of the application.
Another factor that improves the efficiency of Flutter apps is that the ready-to-use production code is translated to the native source code using Dart’s AOT Compiler.
Full Control Of The UI
As Flutter governs the pixels and the rendering of the device, it has complete control over the application UI. This helps us build amazing UIs for both Android and iOS.
Flutter also has platform UI packages that have various interface widgets, such as Material Design in Android and Cupertino in iOS.
Dart For Flutter
Dart is a modern object-oriented language, backed by Google. Flutter framework is written in Dart Language and is one of the main reasons for the high-performance of the flutter apps.
Dart supports both the JIT and AOT compilations. Due to Dart’s AOT compilation support, Flutter does not rely on the slow translation of the non-native code to the native code. That’s why Flutter applications start-up quicker than other apps.
Open Source Framework Backed By Google
Flutter is an open-source framework that is backed by Google. This is also one of the reasons why flutter is growing.
In addition, community support is becoming much more relevant as it becomes more mainstream.
Flutter provides developers many tools that help them in the application development process.
Some of the tools are:
- Flutter Command-Line tools – Like flutter doctor that helps you analyze your development environment.
- IDE Plugin – Helps Developers choose any IDE and start working with the development process.
Flutter website is rich to developers coming from other platforms, with several examples and use cases. Example – Google Codelabs.